Tenspeed Press recntly sent along the following information on two new college books:
In high school, students have lots of safety nets. In college, they sink or swim. This completely revised guide to college success educates students in the basic college survival skills that professors don’t teach, such as how to study, take tests, balance school and social life, and more. Filled with advice on how to hit the campus running, this fun-spirited crash course in the rules of college provides tools to equip students for a lifetime of learning.
* A thorough revision of the popular guide to all things college, with three completely new chapters on research papers, theories of learning, and Q&As.
* Includes helpful sidebars, such as sad-but-true student stories, study tips, and info for nontraditional students, as well as special coaching for struggling students.
* Previous edition has sold 40,000 copies.
Fully revised since the first edition, COOL COLLEGES covers the most exciting schools in the U.S. and Canada, with a new chapter on eco schools, an update on tuition-free schools, and the total low-down on the so-called top-ranked schools.
Are you hyper-intelligent? Self-directed? A late-bloomer? Or just different? Then you need a great school that will challenge, nurture, inspire, and motivate youâ€”and COOL COLLEGES has got â€™em. It will also give you the scoop on:
* What the Ivy league is and what it really wants
* Totally free schools, including one where financial need is a requirement for admission
* Universities that donâ€™t give grades
* Schools that donâ€™t want your SAT scores
* Data on the highest (and lowest) paying majors
* The schools that graduate the most millionaires
* Menâ€™s, womenâ€™s, and minority-focused colleges
* Schools where you can design your own degree program
* A college where you can hike and camp your way to a degree
* A college that runs its own ranch on an 80-square-mile campus
* Science and engineering schools where undergrads get their own labs
* The most competitive colleges, including one that rejects 95% of applicants
* Campuses where students love to study, even on Saturday nights
* Schools that offer programs in computer game studies, comedy, auctioneering, special-effects makeup, and more
Plus a link to the Web addresses for every college and university in the United States and Canada.