The Paris News, Paris, Texas, 13 March 2007, Curfew ordinances reviewed
Phillip Hamilton, representing Texas Home School Coalition, a group of about 70,000 home school families, urged council to repeal the daytime section of the law that forbids children 16 years old and younger from being in public places between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. weekdays.
Diana Manley, also of Powderly, suggested the city issue an identification card for home school students.
After the meeting, other home school families said they would oppose registration, and Manley said she had not said what she intended. She, too, opposes registration of home school students.
Selection of curfew references:
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service, April 1996, Curfew: An Answer to Juvenile Delinquency and. Victimization?
- Home Education Magazine, January 1997, Truancy, Curfews and Our Response
- Home Education Magazine, January 1998, Nighttime Curfews or You Wanna Do What to my Kid
- CNN.com, 10 June 1998, Study: Curfews don’t cut juvenile crime
- Home Education Magazine, March 1999, Taking Charge – Curfews and Homeschoolers
- U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, Curfew
- A to Z, Home’s Cool, Being a kid is not a crime.
- Houston Unschoolers Group, Homeschoolers and the curfew
posted by Valerie