The Discovery Channel carried a documentary about Patrick Henry College in Loudoun county, Virginia, where a “Christian” worldview is taught (as if Christianity is comprised only of one specific viewpoint), but not all sections of the country get the same programming. When the program was first discussed on email lists, I checked our local listings but the program wasn’t broadcast here. It is lucky, then, that Google has the 48-minute program online (it ‘buffers’ as it plays).
- God’s Next Army, Google Video, 48 minutes
(for non-Mac-users on dial-up, the best strategy might be, at a time when the computer can be left to itself for some time, to right-click on the link, and then choose “save target as” and save the program to a file on the hard drive; with luck a savvy Mac-user will use the comments section to give instructions for other Mac-users)
Patrick Henry College has received attention, not only from the Discovery Channel, but also from others around the country, and around the world. What people are saying about the college may be of interest to homeschooling parents because of the emphasis placed on how the college is ‘for homeschoolers’, again as if homeschoolers, like Christians, were all-of-a-kind. In light of arguments made against the insular-appearing ‘pedagogy of homeschooling’ by academics such as Rob Reich and Michael Apple, the policies of Patrick Henry College seem almost designed to give ammunition to critics of homeschooling. Another area of ‘interest’ in light of the college’s aim to groom political leaders is the college’s program on Strategic Intelligence.
- The Independent (via Common Dreams), London, England, 21 April 2004, The Bible College That Leads to the White House
- The New Yorker, 20 June 2005, God and Country
- The Washington Post, Washington, D.C., 15 May 2006, Where Academic Freedom is the Freedom to Quit
- The Baptist Standard, Dallas, Texas, 27 June 2006, Loss of religious liberty ‘can happen here’ Shurden says
- Talk2Action blog:
– Generation Joshua
– An informative expose of a BattleCry event
– The Money Changers (Leininger)
– Taking action, Part 1, winning elections & the next generation
– Taking action, Part 2, the judicial arena
– Abstinence for Africa
(use ‘Ctrl F’ to search for specific names/terms in the blog posts)