In our May-June issue several articles highlight creative ways to engage your children in learning:
• The Homemade Booklet: A Simple Tool for Planning & Preparing, by Nancy Walters – Some homeschooling methods are decidedly low-tech. One mom embraces the humble homemade booklet as a simple way to get prepared–and get down to hands-on science.
• Simplifying Your Science Program: Savor the Fun, Skip the Stress, by Andrea Lehner – Veteran homeschooling mother Andrea shares tips and insight for teaching science at home without the stress. With a few simple tricks, science can be a fun part of every homeschooling curriculum that the entire family can enjoy together.
• Fun Theory, by Laura Weldon – Find out seven ways that lively, engaged learning happens quite naturally from the author of Free Range Learning: How Homeschooling Changes Everything.
• The Fairies’ Midwife: Learning Shakespeare with a Homespun Mother, by Denise A. Evarts – Denise chronicles her child-led learning journey and journals about a homeschooling Shakespeare troupe she facilitates in her backyard.
Two additional articles explore both ends of the homeschool spectrum: young homeschoolers and a mother’s perspective on almost two decades:
• A Day In The Life: Homeschooling a Young Family, by Tera Schreiber – If you are intimidated by the idyllic descriptions of homeschooling, read about the day in the life of a family whose life is, happily, less than perfect.
• Great Moments in Homeschooling, by Kristin A. Oakley – A humorous and poignant look at the past eighteen years of unschooling her two daughters.
Also in this issue Mary Nix interviews Lisa Marie Reiss, who, along with a core of nine families, started Homeschool Association of Harford and Surrounding Areas (HAHSA). She tells us her family has, “as I think many families do, one parent wanting to homeschool, the other unsure.”
Check out the articles and regular columns available to read free online, then subscribe to Home Education Magazine at our great online rates to read the entire issue and receive a whole year’s worth of homeschooling’s premier magazine!